Monday, January 16, 2012

Bureau of Land Management: The Good Guys?



The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
Mahatma Gandhi

Although I love dogs and even wrote a book about my Scottish terrier therapy dog, horses have been my passion ever since I can remember. As a coal miner’s daughter growing up in Pennsylvania, I learned to ride by taming a half-wild mine horse and riding him bareback. To this day the desire to own a horse has never wavered.

I live in Nevada now where the wild mustangs roam free. Large herds of horses have inhabited the range in northern Nevada for years. That’s why it struck me as strange that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) would suddenly take such a huge and all consuming interest in rounding them up. And, not in the most humane way. Helicopters herd them in the extreme heat over rough terrain until the hooves fall off of some, and mares abort their foals. Many horses drop dead from sheer exhaustion.

I realize that the ranchers want to get rid of the horses because they want the land cleared. They have big bucks and lobbyist to help them get their way. Madeleine Pickens, wife of oilman T. Boone Pickens, offered to develop and fund a one-million acre sanctuary for the 31,000 horses rounded up by the BLM. No deal. For some reason, the BLM seemed hell bent to hang on to them.

Now I know the reason! Under the radar while traveling in Asia on November 18th, President Obama signed a bill by autopen containing a provision that paves the way for the slaughtering of horses in the United States. Now I get it. The BLM, politicians, and the rest of the fat cats will make a fortune in the horse slaughterhouse business due to their knowledge through insider trading. If you don’t believe that they all knew what the president was up to, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I want to sell you.

The Occupy Movement speaks for the 99%. Who speaks for the thousands of horses waiting for butchering at American slaughterhouses now that the ban has been lifted?

No comments: